Friday, May 30, 2008

How did this happen?

I'm not sure what to blame, but somehow I got roped into volunteering to spray paint 12 pairs of ballet shoes. Perhaps I missed the memo due to the fact that I wasn't feeling up to taking my daughter to class a week ago and sent her with my neighbor. Or perhaps I'm just an ignorant first time parent at this studio. Here's the story:
Jessica has been complaining that her dance shoes are too tight. It's only a couple of weeks til her recital and then we can pack them up until next fall. But inevitably she will most likely be taking lessons again next year so I went ahead and bought her some new dance shoes while I was in Bryan for a doctor's appointment the day before her class. So last night as I pick her up from class the teacher calls for all of the ballet shoes to put in a bag. I'm thinking "Why??" when someone mentions that they are going to spray paint the shoes. I'm thinking, "I don't think so!" Not her brand new pair of shoes for next year. I just bought them. We are NOT spray painting her ballet shoes. I would rather spray paint the old ones that were left at home a half hour away.
I ask her teacher what they are planning to do. She said she is going to have them spray painted silver for the recital. I said, "I can do that." I was meaning I could do that to her old ones at home so she will look like the rest next week at the pictures.
As I'm talking to someone else about how to assemble this complicated costume on my daughter, the teacher hands me the whole bag of ballet shoes. I say, "What's this?" Someone else says - "Oh it's easy. Just stuff them with newspaper and spray them. You might also want to touch them up for the dress rehearsal."
I look at her and at my belly and think - How did this happen?
I'm already wondering how I'm going to get through a birthday party tomorrow. And I wasn't planning on GOING to the dress rehearsal, but rather sending my daughter with someone else. I'm not even sure I'll make it to the recital in my condition. Just getting her to dance class is something of a challenge at present. And PAINT? I don't really go near the stuff at present moment. How can anyone THINK that I would do this? I can't even go to the store to get the needed items to do the job, much less. . .but it was too late. They don't really know me or my situation. I felt stuck and irritated by that fact.
If only I had known they were going to do this - I would have had the OLD shoes with me that day . . . UGH!

No comments: