Sunday, May 31, 2009

What do you hear in the temple?

I wonder what it would be like to not be able to hear - anything. At all. I'm deaf sometimes, but I still have my hearing.
Yesterday our branch went to the Houston temple. The youth were there to do baptisms and our RS had a scheduled trip. 32 of our members were present in the temple yesterday and I counted work done for 54 plus family names either in the baptistry or initiatory and perhaps more in endowments and sealings.
I was blessed to help participate in the bapistry as 2 of my unendowed sisters and the youth did baptisms. One of those sisters is in her 70's and deaf. She was disappointed to not get to do many more baptisms. It was her first time to the temple ever. I had to explain the time constraints and limit of how many each person was able to do. She's been a member for much of her adult life, but was inactive for many years. Perhaps because of her disability she misunderstood. She thought she could only do baptisms for the dead one time. Imagine her surprise when I told her that wasn't true. She could go as many times as she wants - as long as the bapistry is open of course. She didn't know this.
Then came the second obstacle - surely something to do with her disability as well. We didn't have her records. She couldn't get her recommend. Last Sunday they came at the end of church. Just hers. Not her husband's, not her son's, not her sister-in-laws. Just hers. How thrilled she was that she would be able to go on our trip after all. She was beaming all the way there.
The spirit was quite amazing as she silently waited to be dunked again, and again. What faith. To not hear what is being pronounced, but knowing that it's important. I tried to interpret for her, but the prayer was going too fast for me. I managed to get her an amen so she knew the dunk was coming, but that's all I could really do. I wonder what she heard. Surely in her world something of significance was going on.
Her story is wonderful. She was first baptized when she was married to her first husband because he was a member. I don't think she really knew the gospel. She went inactive sometime before or after her divorce. She remarried and her sister -in- law taught her the gospel. She began a search for the "true" church. At last she found it. She asked to be baptized. She was a bit disappointed to discover she was already a member and couldn't be baptized again. She needed only to repent. Now she knows it's true. She said, "I will never leave the church. I know it's true. I felt the Holy Ghost in me."
What a privilege it has been to get to know this sister and learn how to communicate with her and her family. They have taught me a lot. As I've been diligent in practicing, my skills have improved and been magnified beyond my own abilities. What a blessing to have them in our branch. I have a vision. I envision our entire branch rallying around to learn ASL to fellowship this family and bring them into our branch family. What a great opportunity. I hope to see a few more faces at our home Tuesday night at 7pm to learn some ASL.

1 comment:

Jean said...

Chalice, I am so impressed with what you have done for this lady. Wow.