Monday, December 22, 2008

Please excuse the mess and neglect. . .Relief Society President under construction

"Have you ever been married to a Relief Society President before?" This was the question I posed when my husband asked if all Relief Society Presidents spend so much time on their calling. I couldn't answer that, because I've never lived with one before. I was out on my own when Mom got that calling. She attested to me that yes - this job is time consuming and very near the equivalent of a Bishop. So I'm thinking probably - um - yes, I'm sure other Relief Society Presidents spend so much time on their calling, but perhaps not since other RS Presidents have a full commitee including a VT supervisor, secretary, a whole Enrichment commitee and not to mention three teachers to help her do her job. I've got 2 counselors and 1 teacher. So I may spend a little more time than most. . .but that is the beauty of living in a branch.
On a happier note - I think things are going very well so far. I'm more excited about Visiting Teaching than I think I've ever been. Perhaps it's because with the help of the missionary couple in our ward that has spent the past four months hunting down every member on our records, I now have a better understanding of all the members I've never met - which is quite a few. I've never felt quite so concerned for the welfare of so many all at once and I've never been quite so impressed or inspired so maybe it's the extra energy boost of the Spirit that is keeping me going?
In the beginning I was daunted and worried about finding the time to meet all the needs of our branch. But as I've fallen into this role and learned my duties, I've gotten excited. My counselors are wonderful and supporting. I know I'm on the right track when they are thinking exactly what I'm thinking and they say okay let's do it - even when I'm not sure they want to take on more responsibilities. They're awesome! They're on fire and they are getting me geared up too! I loved our lesson on unity and working together for a common goal. That's what we need. Unity to pull this all off.
And the highlight of my week other than the great program that our Choir director put together for Sunday- was Friday night when I dragged my family out to go caroling and visiting to some neighbors and some of the less active sisters on my VT route. No one begrudged our coming and it was a good feeling to wish some people a Merry Christmas and let them know we care. Santa even came along for our visits! It was pretty nice and my favorite part about Christmas so far.
Now if only I can get around to wrapping all the gifts I've got hidden around the house.
I'm hoping the next couple of days will be my own. Hoping. But I've hoped that before with less luck. So. . .?
Merry Christmas! I hope that you all are able to feel the Spirit of Christmas or rather the Love of our Savior during this hectic time!
And I do know that with a little experience things will level out and I'll get that balance my family and my sisters need from me.

1 comment:

Leejean Stanger said...

Yes, you are right it does take a lot of time. I was one at BYU. And i remeber being in one meeting or another all day on sundays. And that was only a college ward. But i can definately relate with the feeling of love that you suddenly have for all the sisters in your care. etc... you'll do great.