It started with Jessica's first trip to the temple to do baptisms for the dead. She was baptized for Jhonny's Grandmother who was his mama since he was 6 years old. She passed away July 24, 2011. He was unable to attend the funeral in Venezuela and I knew it was a sad event for him. Being there in the temple to do her work was a special moment for all of us. So many emotions all mixed up. I felt her presence immediately as we sat in the chapel listening to the coordinator's instructions and devotional. I felt her strongly as Jessica and Jhonny entered the waters of baptism and he performed the ordinance for her. After pronouncing her name and "who is dead" (in Spanish), he had to pause for what seemed like forever as those words sunk in and the gravity of their meaning along with the implications of this precious ordinance on her behalf. He barely got through the rest of the ordinance for her and the other four women from his family that we were able to bring that day. My dad then baptized him for three of his great uncles. Afterwards, he confirmed Jessica who was proxy for his grandmother and great aunts and great, great grandmother. It was very emotional. Afterwards I asked Jessica how she had felt and she replied. "I felt her there. She said 'Thank you," and she said, 'very soon I will be with Heavenly Father again. Just a few more steps.'" We all cried and felt that wonderful power of the priesthood and sealing power of the temple. It was a marvelous experience.
A few weeks later, I was able to take four of the five names through the temple for the initiatory. Soon, we will have the rest of the names ready for a big family sealing. I also felt the presence of Abuela, Claritza there. The temple was very busy on a Saturday morning. We were invited by a brother in our ward to help him with his family names in the baptistry. Then we helped him with a couple of sealings. I really wanted to get the initiatories done for our own family before we left, but when I went there I found a long, long line. I thought, "well maybe at least Jhonny's grandma." I let them know I was there and the coordinator welcomed me into the long line and allowed me to jump in to do that name. It was the end of her shift and I could tell that she felt the anxiety of His Grandma as much as I did. It felt as if I were doing it for a live initiatory the way she made sure I was able to get in there for her. After I finished and wiped the tears that had begun before I entered the area, the line suddenly vanished. I thought, "Oh well, I'm going to get as many done as possible." So I kept going and was able to finish 4 of the 5 that I had with me. The spirit was strong. I could feel them there and I know they have accepted this work.
Another interesting story I must share. Friday evening before we were to go to the temple with Jessica, I was prompted to return to Family Search and look for more names to take with us. As I looked, I found a name Eulogia Guerra, Jhonny's great, great grandmother on his mother's side. I felt surely we had taken care of everyone who passed away before 2005. So I was surprised to see that her work had not happened. I wondered where her name came from. I don't know if we were given that name previously and overlooked it or if it miraculously appeared. I wondered who had entered the name and it said that I had. I found that odd, but decided we better add her to the list. After I printed out a new list with more names of Jhonny's great aunts and uncles who have passed away since our last visit, I was prompted to look again. I went back and compared my list and noticed she didn't make it to the print out. I printed her name out and then felt like I was finished and done. Dad said that he learned as a baptistry coordinator, that we can be sure that all names that make it to the temple are prepared for the temple. Perhaps she was now prepared and ready for her work to be done. Miracles really do happen in this sacred work. I love the temple.
Sierra Noyce came and watched the kids while we were in the temple. That was special for Jessica too. Sierra is like her older sister. She is getting ready to go on her mission.
No comments:
Post a Comment