Sunday, April 12, 2009

Remembering the gifts. . .

8 years ago, my parents made the long voyage to Venezuela to be present for my wedding over Semana Santa. In Venezuela Easter or Semana Santa is a 4 day holiday beginning on Thursday. It is perhaps the most celebrated holiday in the country. Everyone and I mean EVERYONE goes somewhere for it so of course everything else shuts down (no one is left to run them).
Of course being new to the country this was the only time off I had to get married in time for Jhonny to get a Visa to go with me to the states for the summer. So that was the date we chose. Jhonny didn't tell me it would be IMPOSSIBLE to get a reservation anywhere for a honeymoon. It took lots of string pulling to get reservations out of the country and tickets to get there.
With public transportation down on Thursday, we had to hire a private driver to get us from PLC to Caracas to be sealed in the Temple on the 12th - one day after getting married at the courthouse on the 11th as is the law in Venezuela.
The drive was long and exhausting after quite the reception party the night before which continued a few hours past the time we had expected to end things and leave. But Venezuelans know some things very well and having a good time dancing late into the night and early morning is definitely one of them.
It was a glorious week 8 years ago. I was on cloud nine and could see nothing but those gorgeous eyelashes that batted at me that I hoped all my children would inherit (and they have). I could not have asked for a better wedding.
Last night we attended the Round Rock Easter Cantata, "Jesus is the Christ" to celebrate our Anniversary part I. It was beautiful. As I watched the ASL interpreters sign the program, the Spirit filled my heart and I couldn't hold back the tears as I felt the incredible love and anguish of our Savior.
Today was Anniversary part II. We had superb talks in church about the Savior and His atonement. I was again reminded of the incredible event that we celebrate on this Easter Sunday; of the hope and joy that comes to our lives because of this singularly important event in the great plan of Happiness.
So nice to celebrate two great events on the same day preambled by another miraculous celebration. The birth of our second daughter, Lily.
Lily came after a year of trials - two miscarriages and 7 laser surgeries on my birthmark later, Lily was finally concieved and carried full term. Born on Palm Monday before Easter, she is certainly my Lily and reminder that the Lord is in charge. It's hard to believe she is 3. She brings lots of laughter to our lives. We would not be the same without her. I was pleased to note that she had a wonderful time at her Princess birthday party and enjoyed the entire day. No matter how precocious and independent she may try to be, she is definitely my sweet baby girl.
What a great weekend we've had. So sad to see it coming to a close. I feel somewhat like the Nephites as they pleaded with the Savior to linger a little longer. . .

No comments: