Monday, September 1, 2008

My Sweet Jessie

I'm not sure if Jessica is happy to be in school this past week or not. The first day she was excited to see her friends. So excited in fact that apparently her teacher had to get on her more than once to pay attention and stop talking to them. Being in trouble upset her and it affected her attitude at home. When I put her in time out - something I rarely have to do with her anymore, she told me I didn't understand because her teacher yelled at her that day. I listened and commiserated and we discussed the matter.
Things got better as the week progressed. On Friday she announced that the teacher told her she could sit in the back since she was being so good. I'm not sure this is a great idea, but she took the compliment with pleasure. I hope this teacher learns that flattery will get her everywhere with Jessica.
We got the "site words" for the first test in a couple of weeks. Jessica read them over in ten seconds and tossed the paper aside. I really hope she gets something a bit more challenging soon. She doesn't seem to mind as much as I do that it's too easy for her.
This little girl of mine isn't so little any more. At moments I reflect on how much she has matured over the past year or so. She's lost the "cute" factor. When she's not pulling an attitude with me, she's sweet and pretty. She leaves me notes on my pillow, writes in her journal, reads her own bedtime stories, and tries to do her chores without being told. She's getting ready to lose a third tooth and has more permanent teeth growing in. Saturday, I let her help me make some pans of Lasagna. She mixed the cheeses and helped me with the layers. She's my nose when I'm in doubt and my second set of hands when the baby won't wait for me to finish the dishes or make dinner.
She's growing up. Before I know it, she'll be a teenager and asking me to drive the car. When I was six, the world was slower. Summer lasted forever and an hour was a long time. Now it's a blink of an eye. I wonder if it's the same for her or if time seems to stand still as it did for me?
When I look at her, I see her whole life ahead of her with so many choices and opportunities. My hope for her is to enjoy every minute and to embrace all that life has to offer. I hope she will learn to choose wisely from the buffet of life.

No comments: